I want to add decorated cookies to my menu, I’ve tried several different recipes but they are either too hard or too bland. Does anyone have a good recipe that doesn’t spread too much, tastes good, and won’t be rock hard?
Or are cut out cookies supposed to be rock hard?! I just can’t imagine why so many people would make them when you can’t bite into them so there must be at least a semi soft recipe.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
I use Lilaloa’s recipe with great success. The cookies are soft and hold their shape really well.
This is my go-to recipe for decorated cut out cookies. It’s yummy… and definitely not rock hard!
Sugar Cookies for Decorating
1. Cream together the butter and sugar. I set the butter out on the counter for about 30 minutes, chopped into small squares, to bring it to room temperature before beginning. (I have had bad luck with using the microwave to bring butter to room temperature.)
2. Beat in the eggs (I set these out on the counter with the butter to bring them to room temperature too), vanilla, and almond flavorings.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
4. One cup at a time, mix the dry ingredients into the wet. Scraping down your bowl as needed.
5. Divide dough up into three sections, Saran wrap, and refrigerate overnight. (For some reason cookies just taste better when the dough is refrigerated overnight.)
6. When you are ready to bake, take the dough out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for a few minutes so it’s not too hard to work with.
7. After rolling and cutting your dough, set your dough shapes in the freezer for about 10 minutes before baking to reduce spreading.
8. Bake on parchment paper lined baking sheets at 350 for 6 to 8 minutes.
9. After removing the cookies from the oven, let them sit for a couple of minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.
That’s so funny, I just found Liola’s website last night! She even has a chocolate version that looks yummy!
Thanks sugarkissed I’ve seen your site as well, big fan! I will try both recipes. Thank you both so much!!!
Ever time I use LilaLoa’s chocolate cookie recipe I get rave reviews. You’ll love it!
Also i read somewhere that not to roll your dough too thin
because it will turn out hard xx
YES…. Georgeann’s chocolate is amazing!!!!! I have also taken her vanilla recipe and altered it for lemon, spice and molasses versions.
Try the following one and you will love it.
White Chocolate Sugar Cookies
2 ¼ cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
6 oz. white chocolate
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In small saucepan over low heat, melt the white chocolate and set aside. In small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt (so they’re well combined) and set aside.
In large mixer bowl beat butter and sugar until creamy. Blend in egg and vanilla extract. Beat in melted white chocolate. Gradually beat in flour mixture until soft dough forms. Shape dough in ball; flatten to 3/4" thickness. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 15 minutes* until firm.
On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to desired thickness. Bake until edges are golden. Let stand 2 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets and cool completely.