here’s a cake I made last weekend. For some reason I tried to make my own fondant using vegetarian gelatine which is carrageenan based. It doesn’t work. This was possibly the worst batch of fondant I’ve ever had to use in my life, I binned the rest. Even supermarket stuff is better. After three failed attempts to cover the cake I caved in and made fondant with real gelatine then mixed it 50-50 with the bad stuff in the hopes of salvaging some of it. It was still pretty poor but better than before. I really don’t like the smell of animal gelatine so I might try once more with agar agar, I hear that works well. This is the downside of recipe development I guess.
this is a small cake, the largest tier is less than 4" in diameter. I should probably have taken a photo that illustrated that but I was so annoyed after the fondant disaster I didn’t bother. To make matters worse I tried to use BC under the fondant AGAIN which was a nightmare… please someone remind me never to do that again! gah!
Visit my YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/c/ffeabysawsen | Fb, instagram, pinterest, g+, twitter @ffeabysawsen