I did one just last weekend. I used 1 piece of gumpaste, shaped the neck and head and had the wire inserted to stabilize it. The tail is made out of petal cutter in varying sizes where the edges were marked with gold paint. This is the picture before I assemble it.
I will post it once I have the pictures. Actually I ran late into delivering the cake at the wedding. So I did the final asembling at the lobby of the hotel and didn’t take the pictures. Still waiting for the bridesmaid to forward me the pictures. It was a cream cheese cake, so it was a matter of poking through the cream cheese where you think the feathers should be. Think it would be harder of it is a fondant covered cake. In that case I think you will need to assemble piece by piece and rearrange them nicely.