This is a very popular recipe on my blog and amongst my customers too.
The explanation below looks very elaborate because it is accompanied on my blog with progress pictures.
This recipe will make Two 6 inch layers each 2 inch tall making a 4 inch high cake. OR
One 8” layers cake- 2 inch tall
For Two 8 inch layers making a cake 4 inch high – double the recipe baked in two 8 inch pan and bake longer..
170 grams / 3/4 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
300 grams / 1 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3 large eggs
60 grams / 1/2 cup Coco Powder
220 grams/ 2 cups All purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
175 ml / 3/4 cup sour cream
2 tsp of Vanilla
175ml/ 3/4 cup boiling water.
- Preheat the oven to 170C / 340F.
- Have all your ingredients ready. Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt into the flour and combine.
- First, place your coco powder in a heat proof bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Stir to dissolve. Let it cool.
- Next, place your butter and sugar in an electric mixer and mix till light and fluffy.
- start adding the eggs; one at a time.
- Now pour in the chocolate mixture.Make sure it is cooled not hot (you do not want to melt the butter)
- Next the flour and sour cream into the batter. As well as the Vanilla.
- Your batter is ready. Not to thick but not liquid either.
- Pour it into your baking pan and bake for about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove from pan and cool completely before decorating.
- Try this with my Buttercream or Chocolate Ganache.
- I personally love this cake filled with chocolate mousse and frosted with Chocolate Ganache.
But I’ve given so many variations of this to customers that the possibilities are endless.
For an orange flavor – substitute the vanilla extract with Orange extract, fill and frost with orange buttercream.
For strawberry – substitute the vanilla for strawberry extract, fill and frost with fresh cream and strawberries.
For Chocoholics – layer the above recipe with Chocolate buttercream or chocolate mousse and frost with Chocolate Ganache.
For more recipes and tutorials please visit my blog or website
Like my facebook page to view tip on Tip Thursday
Unforgettable cakes for memorable occsions
English Website- http://www.veenaartofcakes.com/
Hebrew Website – http://www.wix.com/veenaartofcakes/veenaartofcakes
Food Blog – http://veenaartofcakes.blogspot.com/
Food Blog – http://ahomemadechef.blogspot.co.il/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Veenas-Art-of-Cakes/151626264936231
Veena’s Art of Cakes