chocolate decadence #1: bourbon chocolate cake
BOURBON CHOCOLATE CAKE
a good friend from NY sent me a scan from a weekly magazine. and this cake is just AMAZINGLY delicious! and it also works out if you prepare it with glutenfree/lactosefree products!
here we go:
this mousse-like cake really does melt in your mouth. it can be baked up to a day in advance but stays moist and delicious for about 3 days!!
- 11oz semisweet chocolate, chopped (310 gram)
- 6oz (12tbs) unsalted butter (170 gram)
- 6 large eggs, seperated, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (150 gram)
- 1oz (1/4cup) flour (30 gram) – glutenfree flour as needed
- 1/4 cup bourbon (60ml)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or use vanilla sugar)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (or a pinch normal salt)
position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 350 fahrenheit (175 celsius)
line a pan with parchment paper and butter it. set the cake pan in a rosting pan large enough to accomodate it.
melt the chocolate and the butter together. let then cool slightly.
beat the egg yolks with the brown sugar till very pale and fluffy.
than add the chocolate mixture and mix just to combine.
add the flower, just mix to combine and blend in vanilla and bourbon.
in another bowl beat the egg whites with the salt until you get soft peaks. fold that into the chocolate mix and transfer into baking pan.
set the roasting pan on the oven rack and add enough warm water to come halfway up the sides of the cake pan. bake 40 to 45 minutes.
remove the cake pan from the water bath and run a paring knife around the inside of the pan and let than cool the cake competely IN the cake pan on a rack. when completely cooled again run a paring knife around the inside. cover the cake with a serving plate and invert the cake onto the plate. the bottom of the cake is now the top. peel off the parchment papter and dust with confectioners sugar!!!
serce with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Part 1: bourbon chocolate cake
- Part 2: Faux Ganache or "Crusting Chocolate Buttercream" GF, LF