To make the frame for the cake to hold the plane up on its three wheels-
Firstly I googled the name of the plane I wished to make getting a scaled template with views from above side and front.
I drew around the template with view from above to give me the basic outline of the plane on 2mm cake board. This template was then cut out (I found a bread knife the best thing to use to cut the board) my template was a little larger than the board I had so I placed the template in the middle then drew the wing tips on a separate piece of board and attached it to the edges of the main board using tape.
The front view of the plane was used to establish where the holes would need to be drilled to pace the supporting dowels.
I had earlier attached a piece of MDF board that I had cut slightly smaller than my cake drum to the underside of my drum using wood glue. This was attached to give more support when I drilled and attached the dowels.
I placed the plane shaped cake board on top of the drum in the position I wanted the final cake and drilled three holes (one for each wheel on the plane) using a 6mm drill bit. I drilled through the 2mm board through the drum and half way through the MDF board.
A 6mm dowel was then pushed through the three holes and into he board to see height and length of dowel needed.
The front template was used at this point to place the cake board at the correct height from the ‘ground level’ for the main body of the cake. Strong straws (bubble tea) (the straws were strong enough to hold this cake as it wasn’t going to be huge and they were only providing a little extra support rather than holding the whole weight of the cake) were then cut to the appropriate length, dowels were removed, straws were placed over holes and the dowels were replaced through the straws to give extra support.
Once the correct height for the dowels was measured the dowels were marked and cut to length. The two dowels that were supporting the wings were cut flush with the board and the central dowel was left long to help support the cake when it was stacked.
The structure was now removed from the cake drum and the drum was covered with fondant. Circles of fondant were removed around the three drill points where the dowels would be inserted. The fondant was covered with cling film and the drill holes were filled with a few drops of wood glue taking care not to allow the glue to touch the fondant.
The structure was now replaced with the three dowels inserted into the holes in the drum (through the straws) and a hammer was used to ensure that the dowels were tightly in place.
After a few minutes to allow the glue to start setting the cake was stacked on top of the body of the plane (I placed an extra support under the tail of the plane while it was being stacked.) The side and front view templates were used to get the correct shape for the plane.
Once sacked and covered with buttercream fondant was added with extra fondant detail and hand painted windows etc.
The tail was made from gumpaste and left to dry before being inserted similarly the propellant blades were made from gumpaste on wires and inserted into the nose cone.
Hopefully that helps give you an idea of the internal structure of my plane cake any questions please ask sorry it’s quite long-winded!
If you’d like to see the finished cake it’s posted here http://cakesdecor.com/cakes/104572
Zoe, Zoepop's Cakes www.facebook.com/zoepopscakes