One of my favorites….I just have to share with my cake friends!! Enjoy!!
Coconut Macaroon Cupcakes with Coconut FrostingIngredients:
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, sifted
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup low-fat (1% milk fat) milk
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- Sifted confectioners sugar (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly coat eighteen 2 1/4 inch muffin cups with the cooking spray or insert cupcake liners. Sift the flour and baking powder onto a sheet of wax paper and set aside. In a large bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer set on medium speed. Gradually add about 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar in small amounts, beating until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and almond and vanilla extracts and beat until well combined.
2. In a perfectly clean medium-size bowl and with clean beaters, beat the egg whites with the electric mixer set on high until they form soft peaks. Add the remaining granulated sugar in small amounts and beat until the egg whites are stiff and glossy but not dry. 3 Add the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture. Fold in the coconut and egg whites and spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them 2/3 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool to room temperature.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup reduced coconut milk, room temperature
- Seeds scraped from 1 split vanilla bean or 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, lightly toasted (for garnish)
Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar, 1/3 cup reduced coconut milk, seeds from vanilla bean, and salt. Beat on medium-low speed until blended, scraping down sides of bowl. Increase to medium high and beat until light and fluffy.
Using pastry bag fitted with large star tip, pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. (Alternatively, top each cupcake with 2 tablespoons frosting. Using small offset spatula, swirl frosting over top of cupcakes, leaving 1/2-inch plain border.) Sprinkle with coconut. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Store in airtight containers; chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.