The recipe is very easy to make and the reason I call it light and fluffy is because the beaten stiff egg whites adds enough air that the cake is so soft, it almost melts in your mouth.
Two x 9 inch round cakes each 2 inch tall or
One 9×11 inch sheet cake.
400 grams / 4 cups – cake flour
325 grams / 1 1/2 cup – fine granulated white sugar
280 grams / 1 1/2 cup – unsalted Butter or 250 grams / 1 1/4 cup veg Shortening
5 large Eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
3 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Vanilla extract
240 ml / 1 cup Milk
Note: To make this Parve – use veg shortening instead of butter and non-dairy creamer or water instead of Milk.
- Preheat the oven at 170 C/ 340F.
- Prepare your pans for baking
- Sift the flour and baking powder.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Ensure no egg yolks gets into the whites or they will not beat stiff.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a electric mixer or by hand.
- Add in the egg yolks one at a time.
- Once all the eggs are incorporated add in the flour and milk in three batches.
- The batter will look quite dense at this time.
- In a clean bowl grease free bowl with a whisk attachment, add the eggs whites, salt and cream of tartar.
- Beat until stiff peak form but the whites are still shinny.
- Now incorporate the egg whites slowly into the cake batter.
- Pour the batter into your pans. I am using two 8 inch pans here as I want a slightly taller cake.
- Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- It is best not to leave them in the pan for too long or they will sink.
- I usually take them out of the oven and five minutes take them out of the pan and let cool on a wire rack.
Here’s a 6” cake made with the same recipe.
I hope you try this recipe, if you do please do let me know what you think.
This is a fairly easy cake to make but If you are new to baking cakes and would like to progress pictures of the process, you can check the step by step on my blog. http://veenaartofcakes.blogspot.co.il/2012/05/light-and-fluffy-vanilla-cake.html
Veena’s Art of Cakes
Unforgettable cakes for memorable occasions
English Website- http://www.veenaartofcakes.com/
Hebrew Website – http://www.wix.com/veenaartofcakes/veenaartofcakes
Food Blog – http://veenaartofcakes.blogspot.com/
Food Blog – http://ahomemadechef.blogspot.co.il/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Veenas-Art-of-Cakes/151626264936231