As I promised, here are the answers to your questions:
1. What was your inspiration behind making cakesdecor.com?
There are lot of great cake decorators all over the world and only a few good community websites where they can meet and share their cakes, experience, and techniques. Most of the community websites that are on the internet already are too complicated, the designs are flawed, they’re full of advertisements, and/or the admins/moderators are not innovative. That’s why we(Me and my friend Martin) decided to create CakesDecor – a community website oriented towards the members. We appreciate your feedback and we’re trying to implement the “best solutions.”
2. If you don’t decorate cakes, what do you do?
I’m not a cake decorator – I work as a website developer and now as a moderator, website manager, and interviewer as well.
3. Like most people here, I have never run a website (especially of this magnitude); what does it take for you to keep it functioning?
It takes me lot of time, since I check every new cake or post. The first thing I do in the morning is check out new members, cakes, and posts. Then I go through all emails and solve any issues that appear. I do this many times every day, so I’m able to answer all your questions ASAP. In the evening, I work on selecting editor’s choice from the large amount of beautiful cakes – this is one of the most difficult things for me!
4. What was the most important event in your life or greatest accomplishment?
There were many important events in my life, but I can’t pick just one. I’m trying to live in the present and I think that happiness is a compilation of all the small things we do every day.
5. Where would you like cakedecor.com to be in a year?
I don’t like to talk about specific dates and numbers, so I’m not going to say that there will be at least XY members, etc. All I can say is that we have lot of great ideas that we would like to implement and the potential of CakesDecor.com with all these ideas and features is huge.
6. If cake decorating is not a hobby for you, then what is?
My hobbies are mainly sports, especially basketball and streetball. I like to go snowboarding in winter and inline skating in summer. Sometimes I play football (soccer) and I used to work out regularly. In the last 3 months, my biggest hobby is CakesDecor! :)
*7. Do you have a favorite quote? *
“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” ~ Reinhold Niebuh
8. What’s the most important lesson you’ve ever learned?
Don’t argue with a woman. :)
9. Who or what inspires you the most?
I don’t have one special idol. I try to see the best in everyone I meet, and that’s what I carry with me.
10. Is that really you in your profile pic? If so, is it your wedding photo?
Yes, that’s me and yes, it’s from our wedding photos. You can see more photos on my personal Facebook page.
11. Speaking of your wedding… what was your wedding cake like?
12. Is this site your full time job?
No, it’s not. Unfortunately, CakesDecor.com is not profitable yet, so we’re working on it as a hobby in good faith that in the future it will be profitable and we can spend all our time improving it.
13. Does your wife bake cakes?
Yes, she does. She’s a wonderful baker, but doesn’t really focus on the decorating aspect of baking. Your cakes are artworks; her cakes are tasty – but just look like normal cakes. (Shh, please don’t tell her I said this.) :)
Tags: cakesdecor interview