Reply Piping on cakes

Paul Delaney of Delaneys cakes ...

For writing your royal is best to be what is called soft peak, ie when you pull the knife out of the icing the peak should slowly bend over but not dissapear flat like flood icing.Sound as though your pure icing sugar needs to be put through a finer sieve before you make the royal.
Hope this helps.