Cake Decorating Forums

992 views, 0 by Janiepie

Janiepie

buying big?

I have a small building in my yard for my part time caking. I was interested in buying wholesale ingrediants but don’t need a HUGE amount at the time. What do you do? Sooooo many trips to the grocery store get old AND expensive!

1,237 views, 0 by Michal Bulla

Michal Bulla

2012 Facebook Giveaway Winners

Today is the final day of our CakesDecor Facebook Giveaway and I would like to thank all of you, who participated in it. Here are the random draw winners (We’ve used random.org): Sweet Art Supplies Christa Bradfield Kohlhouse Little...

3,398 views, 0 by GabyK

Pazzles vs. Silhouette

Hello there! I’m planning to buy a cutter for my cake decorations, definitely the cricut cake is out of the picture because of the cartridges, but I found this 2 other options, the pazzles http://pazzles.net/store/ and the silhouette cameo...

969 views, 0 by SarahBeth3

SarahBeth3

1,000 Decorators

We are now over 1,000 decorators! Yea for Cakesdecor.com and thank you again, Michal. Congratulations and thank you for letting us all be part of this great, exciting site! It rocks!

24,375 views, 0 by Valley Kool Cakes (well half of it~Tara)

Valley Kool Cakes (well half of it~Tara)

Help! Cookie pricing

I was hoping that some of you ladies could help me. I have never sold cookies before and was wondering how to price them. A customer would like 24 stars with name on them packaged to travel with. Please help me!! Thank you!

2,593 views, 0 by Amanda Reinsbach

Amanda Reinsbach

MN Cottage Food Law

Hello to all the MN bakers out there! I am posting about the MN Cottage Food Law that is out there trying to get passed. Here is the information about it: I, petition my Minnesota state legislators to enact a Cottage Foods bill authorizing the...

1,555 views, 2 by tortacouture

tortacouture

Updated Ganaching, Covering, Smoothing and Stacking

Hey Guys, So I had posted a bit of a tutorial on here about how to get sharp edges on cakes, well I’ve just uploaded a very detailed tutorial on how I ganache, cover, smooth and stack my cakes in case anyone is interested. If you go to my...

1,383 views, 1 by Melissa

Melissa

Petal effect

Hello, fellow cakers~ Would anyone like to share how to do the petal effect technique, or point me in the direction of a tutorial? TIA!

1,123 views, 0 by Michal Bulla

Michal Bulla

5000 cakes milestone

Woohoo, we have reached the milestone of 5000 cakes. What a great year it was. The worst is that it’s really difficult to choose an Editor’s Choice from so many top class cakes we have every day. Please don’t make it easy for me and keep them...

4,525 views, 1 by Rachel Skvaril

Rachel Skvaril

Stable Strawberry Cake Recipe

Hello ladies, I have a customer that want a carved cake and would like strawberry as the flavor. I have a strawberry cake recipe but I don’t think it will hold up well enough to being carved, covered with fondant and the base of a multi-tiered...

1,331 views, 0 by Sandy

Sandy

Ice cream cake

What is the best way to make a ice cream cake? What would be the best icing or buttercream or ganache???

1,878 views, 0 by Jessica

Jessica

Cream cheese frosting on upside down icing technique?

Hello! for those of you that ice your cakes upside down, has anyone done a cream cheese icing under the fondant? I know ones with a crisco base dont work but was wondering if anyone tried cream cheese.

1,496 views, 0 by Sandy Thompson

Sandy Thompson

CakeDecor Definitions

Hi all, if this question has already been answered or addressed…please ignore my post :-) Being new to this website, I’m still finding my way around :-) Is there a place on the forum that gives definitions of items on the site? I saw a...

2,818 views, 0 by Judy Remaly

Judy Remaly

Tax Season Decoration Ideas

I work at an accounting firm as my full time job…but baking and decorating is my passion. I have been asked to make cupcakes with an accounting theme and I am at a loss for ideas. If I was making a cake, it would be easier. Does anyone out...

1,173 views, 0 by Maria @ RooneyGirl BakeShop

Maria @ RooneyGirl BakeShop

Chocolate wholesale/bulk sites - who has the best price in the USA?

Hi All, I’ve been on the hunt recently to find the best website in the USA where I can purchase Imported Chocolate (like Callebaut or Valhrona). So far I am concluding the GYGI seems to have the best prices. Where do you buy your imported...

2,249 views, 0 by SarahBeth3

SarahBeth3

How Did YOU Get Started?

If you don’t mind me asking, I’d love to hear how some of you became interested in cake/cupcake decorating and how you got started. As for me, I was in 4H for 1 year when I was probably about 14. That year I took a cake decorating class, which...

5,115 views, 0 by unctoothlady

unctoothlady

Making fondant stripes and ribbons

OK….Can someone please share with me the EASIEST way to make fondant ribbons and stripes? Mine NEVER come out even. I use my scored fondant mat, a sharp knife/fondant cutter. I guess I could get a ruler just for cake making and try that? ...

2,662 views, 0 by BeesNees

BeesNees

Cakes on pedestal cake stands

Hi all I’ve noticed a lot of people putting their cakes on lovely pedestal cake stands, rather than the standard flat board. I really like the look of this but I’m curious…. I think the look is great especially for tiered cakes, but am...

1,657 views, 0 by Jess B

Jess B

Purse tutorial

Afternoon ladies, I’m fairly new to this site and I love it! I was wondering if anyone as a cake purse tutorial they can share. Thanks in advance Jess :-)

1,435 views, 1 by Jillycakes

How does everyone "finish" their cakes?

How do you shine everything up and not run the colors??