Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
cooling time: 1-2 hour
Kcal per portion: 655
P = 9g, F = 32g, C = 83g.
Ingredients For Battenberg Cake
250 g / 8 oz butter
250 g / 8 oz sugar
1 tbsp rum
250 g / 8 oz plain flour
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
dark and light cake in loaf
Baking one dark and one light cake in loaf.
30 g / 1 oz cocoa
1 tbsp milk
250 g / 8 oz apricot jam
300 g / 10 oz marzipan
1 egg white
80 g / 3 oz icing sugar
Icing sugar for rolling out
1. Line two small loaf tins 20cm/8 inches long with greaseproof paper. Pre-heat the oven to 190º C/375º F/ Gas Mark 5.
brushing battenberg cake
Lay the strips together, brushing them with apricot jam.
2. Put the softened butter and the sugar in a basin and beat until creamy. Beat in the eggs and rum and add the flour.
3. Divide the mixture in half. Mix one half with the vanilla sugar and the other with the cocoa and milk. Put each half in a loaf tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 40 minutes until done. Remove form the oven, allow to cool slightly in the tins then turn them out onto a cake rack.
4. When the cakes have cooled completely, cut them straight across, the lengthwise into four even strips. Arrange the brown and white strips alternately, four abreast and four deep, sticking them together with hot apricot jam.
5. Knead the marzipan with the egg white and the icing sugar and roll out on icing sugar to the size of the cake. Brush the cake with apricot jam and wrap it in the marzipan. Leave 1-2 hours before slicing, Unsliced. Battenberg Cake will keep for several days.
Get crazy-creative with your cakes at www.creativiu.com