Moth Orchid #1: Part 1 of mini tutorial on the Moth OrchidThe making of the Moth Orchid Part 1 It is hard to explain every detail in a mini turorial, but I believe this can get you started… Surprise… I decided to post a basic mini tutorial on the Moth Orchid instead of only the finished flower. Being a...
It is hard to explain every detail in a mini turorial, but I believe this can get you started…
Surprise… I decided to post a basic mini tutorial on the Moth Orchid instead of only the finished flower. Being a very popular orchid request and very beautiful I think it is a good choice.
This is a basic mini tutorial since not all steps are shown or explained in detail.
Hope you enjoy it…
- Double sided moth orchid veiner,
- Moth Orchid cutter set,
- Apple trays or similar for drying,
- egg white, crisco, cornstarch,
- 26g wire,
- rolling pins,
- cups and formers (sometimes used)
- (depends if I want the petals very curved or not)
Making the Petals
This board has grooves so when you roll the gumpaste out it creates the ridge to insert the wire??.
- Roll the gumpaste out over the grooves, rolling high enough the cutter fits to cut out shape
- Remove and turn the gumpaste over so veining lines face up to see where to place cutter
- Place the bottom of the cutter down and centered over the vein
- Press down firmly to cut through the gumpaste, remove excess and wrap up
- Do the same for all 5 petals.
- Keep them under plastic to prevent them from drying out while working with them
- Lay the petal on a soft pad with the plain side up
- Soften the edges using the rolling pin along the edge of the gumpaste, don’t frill
- Place the petal in the veiner and press firmly. Might need to add some cornstarch it paste is tacky
- Lay the petal in a curved former plain side down. I use apple or avocado trays or similar
- Do the same with the rest of the petals. The wings, legs, and head using the appropriate veiners
- Leave to dry firm overnight
Shaile's Edible Art https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shailes-Edible-Art/121894759384?ref=tn_tnmn
- Part 1: Part 1 of mini tutorial on the Moth Orchid
- Part 2: Part 2 of mini tutorial on the Moth Orchid