Since my husband and I are now eating a vegan diet at home I have started to try out some vegan cakes for family gatherings. This pumpkin spice cake was a big hit and no one could tell the difference. A nice alternative to chocolate or vanilla.
Pumpkin Spice Cake
recipe by: Meredyth Hite
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk (any will do)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tin or cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin, oil, sugar, milk, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, and
nutmeg. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients then add to the wet. Mix well.
- Pour batter into cake pan or prepared muffin tins.
- I bake out of habit most of the time and couldn’t tell you how long these take to bake. But it takes a while for this one.
I also used sunflower oil instead of canola(that’s all I had) and some ground flax, organic sugar, and a mix of organic all purpose flower and whole wheat flour.
It turned out to be quite a sturdy cake but still really moist. I think it would hold up really well as a stacked cake with fondant.
-- Tara, Nova Scotia, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Valleys-kool-cakes/131353476890032